If the AxProtector license lock has struck or the CmContainer has been locked via the lock list function of the CodeMeter License Central, the Firm Access Counter (FAC) of this CmContainer must be increased to be able to unlock this CmContainer again.
To create a "FAC activation item" in CodeMeter License Central for unlocking, please proceed as follows:
1. Create an update item for a product item you can be sure that the CmContainer contains it.
Best based on a basic item that your license always contains.
2. Select "Firm Access Counter" as the only license option and define which value the Firm Access Counter should have.
Orientate yourself on your AxProtector options and the values you "normally define at FAC".
3. Save the item.
- This item must not contain any further license options, otherwise the "reactivate" will not work!
- If this item is packed together with others in a ticket, it must be ensured that this item is always activated first!
Otherwise all following items will not be activated.
Here we would advise you to always use this "FAC activation item" first separately in your own item and then to send the customer new ticket(s) with the remaining items to avoid operating errors.
Components as pure CodeMeter License Central Feature.
Components serve to group different products and make it easier to sell them all at once.
Afterwards you have only programmed different Product Items into the CmContainer, which in principle have nothing to do with each other.
Once the Items have been activated, they no longer contain any Component information. CodeMeter itself does not know any Components.
Module Items as CodeMeter feature.
Here Product Items are hierarchically arranged and inherit as Module Items (child) properties of the Product Item parent.
Technically, module items are 'smaller' and do not have their own internal certificates for the license transfer (which forces them to be transferred with the parent).
This makes it easier, for example, to have a uniform Expiration Time. They consume less memory in the CmContainer and increase performance when programming licenses and transferring. It is also ensured that these Module Items and their parent always remain related during a license transfer.
If on page "Depot | Collect license" the error message below, displays, you can remedy this display using two compatibility view options. You have two alternative solutions:
Open menu item "Tools| Compatibility View" in Internet Explorer and proceed alternatively as follows:
- check whether the website has been added to the Compatibiliy View and remove the website from this list.
- check whether the website in question is an intranet site and deactivate the option "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View".
If a receipt via a WebDepot is not possible, you can also import a receipt into CodeMeter License Central.
If the activation was successful, you can also confirm the ticket manually in CodeMeter License Central.
To do this, select the ticket in question under "Get License" in the CodeMeter License Central GUI. You will get the following overview:
If you click here on the triangle on the right side in the row with the name of the license, you get this context menu:
You can now either upload the current context of the container on the customer's computer (created with the CmFAS assistant of CodeMeter Control Center) at "Send receipt", or set the status of this activation to Acknowledged at "Confirm".
There are several entries in an FSB (Firm Security Box). Depending on the type of Firm Code different entries have to be monitored.
For CmDongle (1xx.xxx) or CmActLicense (5.xxx.xxx) Firm Codes these are located in Firm Code 99 with their Firm Code as Product Code. They can be distinguished by the name of the Product Item.
In detail, the entries have the following meaning:
FA: This entry authorizes to generate a Firm Item for this Firm Code and is required for the activation of a new license or the reactivation of a broken license. The counter is decremented.
PAPU: This entry authorizes you to add or change a Product Item for this Firm Code. The counter will be decremented. Not required, if FA is present (FA and PAPU are mutually exclusive).
Ser: This entry is needed to generate a new serial number for CmActLicense. This is necessary because for CmActLicenses was wanted that each serial number exists uniquely only once. Therefore you always get a new serial number range written into the FSB when you buy transactions. The counter is there to determine how many serial numbers are still available.
Others: This entry contains the other authorizations that are not counted.
In general, it is sufficient to monitor the FA/PAPU, since you always get the Ser counter automatically completed.
The only exception where the Ser counter should be monitored is, if you program Protection-Only or Trial Licenses in addition to Smart Bind licenses, which always count down the FA counter. In this case only the Ser counter is decremented, and in this case you have to monitor it.
If you own the Internet Edition of the CodeMeter License Central, you also get the Internet Extensions (WebDepot etc.).
These also contain the tool FSBWatch. With this tool you can monitor your FSB and trigger warning emails if your FSB falls below defined limits.
You can download the Internet Extensions from the Wibu-Systems website as soon as you are logged in and have the corresponding activation for the Internet Edition of the CodeMeter License Central.
When CodeMeter License Central 3.21 is installed, a broadcast is set by default in the Server Search List.
This results in noticeably slower activation, since the Firm Security Box (FSB) access always first executes a broadcast to the entire subnet.
Therefore, this broadcast should be removed and the correct FSB server entered.
Please proceed as follows:
1. Stop the CodeMeter service.
sudo service codemeter stop
2. Edit the Server.ini file.
sudo nano /etc/wibu/CodeMeter/Server.ini
3. Customize the Server Search List.
- replace server 255.255.255.0
4. Start the CodeMeter service.
sudo service codemeter start
If remote write access is enabled for CodeMeter License Central, this can also be done via CodeMeter WebAdmin. Then please proceed as follows:
1. Remove the broadcast in "Settings | Base | Server Search List".
2. Enter the unique server.
The problem here is the Usage Period. A license that has a Usage Period that has already started cannot be returned.
The reason for this is that it is not technically possible to program an already partially used Usage Period.
So if a license with another 10 of 30 days Usage Period is to be returned and then reactivated, the license cannot be programmed again with the already partially used Usage Period and the user would have the full 30 days again.
Alternatively, you can use an order- or activation-specific Expiration Time.
You can set this in your article definition with the option "Allow value modification".
With the order-specific Expiration Time, you can then define the Expiration Time when you create the individual order.
With the activation-specific Expiration Time, you can have the system set this automatically when the user activates the license. However, this requires an adjustment of your Web Depot or your Gateways. For help, please contact our Professional Service.
The offline activation process of CodeMeter licenses using CodeMeter License Central or WebDepot has not been working as expected since the latest updates of Internet Explorer 11 by Microsoft.
Internet Explorer does not provide a download link for the transfer of the license update file. The reason for this is a known issue with Internet Explorer acknowledged by Microsoft as ID 916652. Microsoft is currently analyzing and resolving the issue.
The direct programming of licenses works as expected.
The offline activation process using other browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome or Safari, works flawlessly. Please recommend your customers to use these browser for an offline activation.
If you or your customers already had problems with activating licenses offline using Internet Explorer 11, you can manually trigger the download of the license update file for this ticket in CodeMeter License Central. Please proceed as follows:
- Navigate to menu item: "Licenses | Get license".
- Search for the respective ticket.
- Select "Download update" in the dropdown menu on the right.
To recycle a CmContainer, i.e. to delete all license entries known to CodeMeter License Central from the CmContainer, please proceed as follows:
1. Select in CodeMeter License Central "CmContainer - Search".
2. Click the button "Search
3. Select the corresponding CmContainer.
The following page "CmContainer Details x-xxxxxx" shows the jobs that have been activated on this CmContainer so far.
4. Click the button "Recycle".
The message "This action creates a ticket to delete all licenses in this CmDongle. Do you want to continue with the action?" appears.
5. Confirm the message with "OK".
A ticket is generated.
6. Click on the URL of the ticket.
Note: If a WebDepot is integrated you can now activate the ticket via the WebDepot or, as in your case, the ticket can now be activated directly on the CmContainer.
Now all licenses should be deleted from the CmContainer.
The previous tickets that were activated on this CmContainer are now marked with the icon "is recycled".
If this step-by-step guide should work, please contact us again.
Here all licenses known to CodeMeter License Central are deleted.
The basic idea here is that a CmDongle is returned by a customer and you want to "clean" this CmDongle in a way that you could easily send it to a new customer.
The counter for wrong login attempts can easily be reset on the command line of the Linux VM. Subsequently, you then can log in again.
For this you must restart the Webmin service. Please use the following command:
sudo service webmin restart
To check which permissions you have in CodeMeter WebAdmin, i.e. read/write permissions, you can check this via the access mode button. You can find the button to the left of "?" and the language selection.
By default, you can only make changes, if you are connected to the local CodeMeter WebAdmin.
If this is not possible here, an authentication has probably been configured, here you can click on the access mode button to authenticate yourself.
If the password is not (anymore) known, you can reset it with the tool cmu32. Proceed as follows;
1. Open the command line tool via "All Programs | CodeMeter | Tools | CodeMeter Command Prompt".
2. Enter the command: cmu32 --reset-access-data;
under Linux and macOs via the command line: cmu --reset-access-data.
3. Refresh the page in CodeMeter WebAdmin.
Now you should have local read and write access again. For more details see the CodeMeter User Manual "CodeMeter WebAdmin | Settings | WebAdmin "
The third-party tool Webmin is installed to give customers a "simplified graphical" option to administer or configure the CodeMeter License Central VM. Webmin is not required to run or configure CodeMeter License Central.
To avoid a potential security risk, Webmin can also be turned off. The following options are available:
a) Exit Webmin with administrator rights by entering the command sudo service webmin stop.
b) Preventing the automatic start of Webmin.
Please proceed as follows:
1. Navigate in Webmin to "Webmin | Webmin Configuration" .
2. Set the option Start at boot time to No.
If you still need Webmin, you as administrator can start the daemon again with the command sudo service webmin start.
1. Upload both packages to CodeMeter License Central (e.g. via WinSCP or via Webmin itself "Upload and downloads").
2. Log on to the CodeMeter License Central VM console, e.g. via ssh Client; Default Login user:cmlcadmin password:CodeMeter
3. Install the unzip package with the command sudo dpkg -i unzip_[version]ubuntu1_amd64.deb.
4. Install the Webmin package with the command sudo dpkg -i webmin_[version]_all.deb.
5. Restart CodeMeter License Central to reload Webmin.
CodeMeter License Central is reporting that the used CmContainer has a Firm Update Counter (FUC) that does not match the value in the Database. In a normal case this indicates that the CmDongle/CmActLicense got somehow changed or manipulated and the CodeMeter License Central reports that to you.
In a normal use case this scenario can occur if the CmContainer got programmed by hand for example with the CodeMeter License Editor or the command line based tool cmboxpgm.
If this was done the Firm Update Counter does not match the expected Value and the CmContainer is marked as unexpected State and cannot be programmed.
To accept this unexpected State of the CmContainer you have to login to the CodeMeter License Central Interface go to “CmContainer – Search” enter the Serial Number of the CmContainer and press the button “accept State”
After this the CmContainer should be ready to be programmed again.
Also you can find an explanation in the CodeMeter License Central Manual Chapter 17 Details for the CmContainer Serial number .
Important: this function is "hidden" in the Basic Mode area on the page "Get License".
Please change to the "Advanced Mode" (Display Mode -> right bottom) if necessary.
Now search for the ticket in question.
In the detailed view you can now (right below) unlock your ticket via "unlock ticket" and use it again.
To import the update into your FSB (Firm Security Box), please proceed as follows:
I. Create context of FSB
1. Open Webmin of the CodeMeter License Central with :10000 behind the LC-IP in the web browser, e.g. 10.0.0.15.
2. Click on [Others | Command Shell] in the navigation on the left.
3. Type in the command line cmu -s 2-2944166 -c 102688 --file /home/cmlcadmin/context.wibucmrac
(-s is the serial number of the FSB, -c creates the Context File, and --file puts it in the specified path).
Note: If you do not know the serial number, you can use cmu -l to output all connected CmContainers.
4. Click on [Others | File Manager] in the left navigation.
5. Navigate to directory [home | cmlcadmin] and download the Context File.
II. Create update
1. Open the CodeMeter Licence Central WebDepot (http://license.wibu.com/depot/).
2. Enter the ticket we sent you and click "Next".
3. Click on "Activate license" and then on the right on the link: "File-based license transfer".
4. Select the Context File from step I. and click on the "Upload and continue" button.
You should now be able to download an Update File.
5. After downloading, navigate to Webmin, but leave WebDepot open, as you will need it again later in step IV.
III. Import update
1. In Webmin Filemanager under previous path [home | cmlcadmin], you will find a green upload arrow on the top right.
2. Click on the green upload arrow, select and upload the update file.
3. Click on [Others| Command Shell] in the navigation on the left.
4. Enter cmu -i --file /home/cmlcadmin/context.wibucmrau in the command line (you may have to change the filename depending on the name of the update file you downloaded).
Now the new transactions are available in the FSB.
IV. Receipt activation
1. Finally enter in command line cmu -s 2-2944166 -c 102688 --file /home/cmlcadmin/receipt.wibucmrac
2. Navigate in Filemanager to the directory [home | cmlcadmin] and download the receipt file.
3. Upload the receipt file into WebDepot.
For FSB Updates of Firm Codes < 6.000.000, you need to select Firm Code 99 in step I instead of 102688.
Furthermore instead of Step II, you need to send the context file to our sales department (email@example.com) to manually create you an update which you can import in step III.